PART TIME DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, ANSWER SCHOLARSHIP INC.
Title: Development Director, Answer Scholarship Inc.
Address: 6420 Rea Road, Suite 112, Charlotte, NC 28277
Founded: 2006, with 501c3 established in 2016
Hours: Part-time, contract position, 20 hours per week, remote
Reports to: Executive Director
ANSWER Scholarship is committed to advancing social and economic opportunities for women by providing college scholarship funding, mentoring and professional development to mothers of school-age children in Mecklenburg and surrounding counties. Scholars are seeking to earn a four-year undergraduate degree in their field of choice, a two-year nursing degree, or a two-year degree in CPCC’s Health Care Program or IT Program.
The idea for the ANSWER Scholarship began years ago. Susan Andersen, the founder, put herself through college and was grateful to receive a four-year partial scholarship from a Charlotte organization. She vowed to give back one day to the community that believed in her. From that desire, ANSWER was born.
Many others have joined what Susan began. ANSWER has funded scholarships thanks to gifts from individuals, organizations, and houses of worship. ANSWER has aided mothers in the Charlotte region earn college degrees and become strong and self-supporting. Their children are inspired to follow their mother’s example and work harder in school.
ANSWER’s scholarship recipients have an average college graduation rate of 80% – more than double the average for non-traditional students.
ANSWER’s endowment was established under the Foundation For The Carolinas. Beginning as a scholarship fund, Susan Andersen recognized the need for scholars to have access to non-academic learning and build networks to enhance their personal and professional development. In 2010 the Mentors For Mom program was established whereby each scholar is paired with a volunteer mentor to lend advice and support and help scholars achieve their educational goals. In 2014 ANSWER began offering monthly professional development workshops to help scholars identify their career goals, network and conduct an effective job search.
These programs differentiate ANSWER from the many other scholarships offered. In 2016 ANSWER Scholarship Inc. was created as a 501c3 so that ANSWER could create an organizational structure to support the expanding programs and number of scholars. While the scholarship monies are managed by the Foundation For the Carolinas, ANSWER Scholarship Inc. is responsible for all fundraising and donor acquisition as well as managing the Governing Board and volunteers who mentor or work on one or more of the various committees.
ANSWER Scholarship Inc. has continued to grow and gain recognition in the community. Scholarship awards and the number of scholars assisted has steadily been increasing. With this increase is the need to establish for the first time, a paid development officer. The Development Committee currently is staffed by dedicated volunteers, but ANSWER needs to establish a dedicated resource to raise funds, build the donor base and develop a strategic resource development plan. A part-time contract position is being sourced to support the growth of ANSWER – the Development Director.
To learn more about ANSWER Scholarship please visit: www.answerscholarship.org
The Role: Development Director
The Development Director will be responsible for developing fundraising goals and strategies, developing donor relationships with individuals and corporations, and overseeing the execution of all fundraising events and activities. Additionally he/she will work with the grant writer to find and apply for grants that align with ANSWER’s mission. As the Development Committee Chairperson he/she will work closely with committee volunteers, the Executive Director and Governing Board.
- Collaborate with Executive Director, Governing Board and Development Committee to develop and implement annual fundraising plan to address financial needs
- Conduct research to identify new sources of institutional growth (individual and corporate donors, grants, etc).
- Develop strategies and tactics that build volunteer engagement and revenue
- Actively engage in cultivating individual, civic and organizational donors, make recommendations relative to key marketing messages and donor stewardship.
- Plan, execute and evaluate at least two fundraising events per year
- Facilitate and assist with donor recognition events/opportunities
- Maintain calendar of grant activities, creating deadlines for activity to ensure sufficient time for review by Executive Director
- Update the website with relevant content re donor opportunities/fundraising
- Assess the resource development needs of the organization and address as needed
- Create and maintain donor management plan to ensure relationships are fostered
- Establish calendar of all major outreach and/or fundraising activities, including speaking engagements
- Provide oversite and act as support to the Development Committee, volunteers charged with executing all outreach and fundraising activities
- Work with ANSWER Speaker’s Bureau to assure continuous outreach to professional, civic and church organizations; establish key messages
- Formalize grant budgets for programs, projects and general operating support
- Maintain updated database records on all sources of support
- Work with volunteers to engage all volunteers in fundraising activities
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 2-3 years professional experience in for-profit or not-for-profit fundraising
- Passion for the organization’s mission
- Strong interpersonal skills, high-energy, proactive, self-starting administrator with the disposition to work in a virtual environment
- Team player who will be a constructive and collegial partner to board, staff, volunteers and external stakeholders
- Proved writing, editing and oral communication skills, comfort with public speaking
- Ability to attend monthly meetings, quarterly board meetings and other meetings during evening hours and weekend as needed
- Tech savvy, proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience with database platforms
How to Apply:
Applications should be addressed to Susan Andersen and include:
-Resume with details of relevant experience/achievements
-Cover letter that summarizes your interest in position
-Submit application by emailing to: email@example.com
-Application closes on February 29, 2020