The Andersen Nontraditional Scholarship for Women’s Education and Retraining (ANSWER) was established to provide financial support and encouragement to adult women age 25 and older who are raising school-age children (grades Kindergarten – 12) and are seeking to earn a two-year nursing degree or a four-year undergraduate degree in the field of their choice.
Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Be a “nontraditional” female student age 25 or older at the time of the application deadline.
2. Be primary caregiver to at least one school-age child (enrolled in grades Kindergarten – 12). This includes natural born or legally adopted children or children for whom legal guardianship has been granted. The children must live in the home with the applicant.
3. Applicants must be US Citizen, including foreign-born US citizens, and legal residents of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina or a contiguous county in North Carolina or South Carolina (Cabarrus, Catawba, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Stanly and Union in NC and York in SC).
4. Be enrolled or plan to enroll as a full-time, degree-seeking student at an accredited institution in North Carolina or South Carolina, seeking a first-time bachelor’s degree.
5. Applicants who have already earned a 4-year degree are not eligible to apply.
• Visit https://fftcscholarships.communityforce.com/Funds/Search.aspx to search for The ANSWER Endowment under “Search for Scholarship by Keyword”.
• Create a new account.
•Complete the online application.
•Review the Request Section of the application:
• Letters of Recommendation: Before you submit your application, you will need to supply email addresses for three (3) references.
• Transcript: You will need to provide a school official’s email address so they can attach your official transcript to your application.
The Scholarship Committee will consider the following when selecting scholarship recipients:
1. Financial need as determined by the costs of college attendance compared with an applicant’s household income and other financial factors.
2. Demonstrated potential for academic success.
3. Preference will be given to single parents.
Finalists will be required to attend a personal interview with the Scholarship Committee.
Scholarship award amounts will vary annually at the discretion of the scholarship committee. Funds are paid directly to the recipient’s school and are designated for tuition, fees, books, and supplies. Scholarships are awarded for one year only. Effective with 2011 awards, renewal scholarships are awarded and if the recipient maintains satisfactory performance and meets mentoring requirements:
• In order to qualify for a renewal scholarship, recipients are required to attend either an annual luncheon sponsored by the donor or to meet with the donor prior to December 31 of the current award year.
• Recipients are required to have contact (phone, email, or an in person visit) once a month with an assigned mentor in order to renew their scholarship for the following year. Mentors will be assigned by the Fund, through its Mentors for Mom program.
SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION BY 12:00 NOON MARCH 16th