The Scholarship Committee will consider the following when selecting scholarship recipients:
- Financial need as determined by the costs of college attendance compared with an applicant’s household income and other financial factors.
- Demonstrated potential for academic success.
- Preference will be given to single parents.
- Availability and commitment to participate in ANSWER’s Mentors for Mom program.
If you are selected as an ANSWER recipient, you will be matched with one of our talented mentors before you begin your academic year. Our mentors know what it means to overcome challenges and earn a degree. Your mentor will be available as a sounding board throughout the year and will help support your efforts in obtaining an education. You will be required to have contact (phone, email, or an in-person visit) once a month with your assigned mentor.
In addition, each month from September – April you will participate in a 3-hour “Mentors for Mom” educational program. These programs are typically held on a Saturday afternoon, where you will learn from a variety of professionals about any number of topics, such as health, careers, and parenting. This program, and your commitment to participate in it, is what makes ANSWER scholarship recipients so successful. Participation in the Mentors for Mom monthly educational programs is required of all ANSWER scholarship recipients.
5. Good moral character.
An applicant (including new and renewal) for this scholarship must also show that she has been, and continues to be, a person of good moral character. In general, the applicant must demonstrate this during the five-year period immediately preceding her application for the scholarship and up to the time of receipt of the scholarship. In addition, to remain active in ANSWER’s programming, the scholarship recipient must continue to conduct herself in such a way as to represent ANSWER and herself in only the most positive manner. Conduct deemed detrimental to the image of ANSWER will be grounds for dismissal from the program. The recipient shall not commit any act that could materially injure ASNWER’s reputation including (but not limited to) an act of dishonesty, theft or misappropriation of funds or property, moral turpitude, insubordination, or any act injuring, abusing, or endangering others.
Please also note:
- All finalists for the scholarship will be required to attend a personal interview with the Scholarship Committee.
- If you are selected as a scholarship recipient, you must attend an annual ANSWER luncheon for recipients and donors in the spring, or meet with the director before December 31 of the current award year.